Horse Mortality: Carcass Disposal
Natural Rendering: Composting Livestock Mortality & Butcher Waste
- 12p illustrated fact sheet describing the process, cautions, problems, biosecurity issues, economics and more. 2002, updated 2010.
- 20-minute video describes mortality and butcher residual composting featuring eight operations. Download in English or Spansh. 2002.
- A set of 3 posters (English and Spanish) has been developed for educators; pdf and ppt formats. 2002.:
- Butcher Waste Composting - Key Points of Static Pile Butcher Residual Composting.
- Carcass Composting - Key Points of Static Pile Carcass Composting.
- Risk - Potential Environmental and Biosecurity Risk of Dead Animal Disposal.
- A How-To On Livestock Composting. Article published in Northeast DairyBusiness, 10(11):18-19. 2008.
- Are Your Deadstock Piles and Disposal Costs Causing Your Farm Nightmares? Article published in Country Folks. Section B: 21-23. 2009.
- Natural Rendering: A Natural Solution for Mortality and Butcher Waste. Article published in Small Farm Quarterly. Fall 2003.
- On-Site Composting of Meat By-Products. 15p final report of a project exploring the economic viability and technical obstacles to on-site composting of meat by-products. 2001.
- The Space It Takes - Footprint Calculator for Composting Butcher Waste. 8pg document. 2010.
- Where There is LIvestock, There is Occasionally Deadstock. Article published in Progressive Dairyman, 15:18-19. 2015. (PDF file).
Composting Road Kill
- 12p illustrated fact sheet (PDF) on the "how to" of composting road kill deer, 2007.
- 8-minute DVD accompanies the 12p fact sheet (download), 2007.
- Illustrated poster (PDF), 2007.
- Effectiveness of Composting Road-Killed Deer in New York State. Article published in Compost Science & Utilization 18(4):232-241, 2011.
- Evaluating Pathogen Destruction in Road Kill Composting. Article published in BioCycle, 47(11):49-51, 2006.
- Composting Road Killed Deer in New York. Article published in BioCycle 45(5):25-26, 2004.
- Revalence and Persistence of Pathogens in Mortality Composting - a Literature Review.
- Environmental Effects of Mortality Disposal. Proceedings from the 3rd International Symposium: Management of Animal Carcasses, Tissue and Related Byproducts. 2009
- Links to project reports and photos - Pathogen Analysis of NYS Department of Transportation Road-killed Deer Carcass Compost Facilities.
- What To Do With A Dead Deer: Compost It. Article published in the Cornell Chronicle. 2012.
Avian Influenza and Poultry Composting
- 12p illustrated fact sheet (PDF) for poultry composting and addresses the emergency response to disease control, 2008 (revised 2016).
- 6-minute video "Composting Poultry Mortality" complements the fact sheet (download), 2008.
- Illustrated poster (PDF or Powerpoint), 2008.
- A literature review (PDF) of avian influenza and methods of disposal of affected poultry, 2008.
- Emergency Response Planning for Disposal of Avian Influenza Affected Birds in NYS. Proceedings from the 3rd International Symposium: Management of Animal Carcasses, Tissue and Related Byproducts. 2009.
- Mortality Composting Protocol for Avian Influenza Infected Flocks - FY2016 HPAI Response. 31p procedure manual. Manual can also be access here. 2016.
- Mortality Management Options During an Avian Influenza Outbreak. This 70-min. webcast provides a curent update of the outbreak and highlights mortality management options. View here. October 2015.
Other Mortality Composting Resources
- Webinars. Archived webinars available for viewing. Click here.
- Livestock Mortality Composting For Large and Small Operations in the Semi-Arid West, EB0205. 28pg manual. English or Spanish. 2012.
- Composting Mortality - How To poster. 2010
- US Mortality and Butcher Waste Disposal Laws. A searchable map of rules, regulations and guidance of US disposal laws. 2009. (updated 2012)