- (Source: Toxics In My Home?
- by Golden Empire Health Planning
Center, Sacramento, CA)
- Hand out for Potential
Hazards in Your Home 9-12 Activity
- Trash Goes To School
Cornell Waste Management Institute
- TRUE or FALSE
- ________ 1. Manufacturers of household
cleaning agents are required to list all the ingredients of their
- ________ 2. Labels of all home and
garden products must be precise, showing exactly what substances
are present and the amount of each.
- ________ 3. Household products (e.g.,
cleansers, drain openers, paint removers, etc.) must be tested
for their long-term health effects before being placed on the
- ________4. Products placed on the market
are not guaranteed to be safe.
- ________ 5. If ingredients are listed
as "inert", they are harmless.
- ________ 6. "Active" ingredients
make up the major portion of a product.
- ________ 7. A hazardous substance is
described as highly toxic, flammable or combustible, corrosive,
an irritant, a strong sensitizer, radioactive, capable of generating
pressure, or capable of causing substantial illness or injury.